Chicken Shish Taouk
09/05/14 17:51 Filed in: Lebanese - Main
Chicken Shish Taouk was one of the few dishes I would order from a takeaway.
Alas, Elias our local Lebanese shut down, and so I was forced to try and recreate the dish at home.
I love the moist chicken combined with the garlic humus. The yoghurt helps to protect the chicken and keep it succulent.
The key is to keep basting the kebabs as much as possible.
If they are looking dry - place them in a large pot and cover for 6-10 minutes - to allow the steam to moisten them up.
This is delicious as a wrap with Greek Salad and humus.
Even better on a charcoal barbecue!
for the chicken shish taouk [serves 2/3] :
1 tbsp cumin seed
1 tbsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli pepper
1 tsp onion salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried mint
50 ml olive oil
100 ml greek yoghurt
1 lemon, juiced
5 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced fine
2 chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
1 romano red pepper
8 cherry tomatoes
for the humus :
for the flatbreads :
for the greek salad :
for the chicken shish taouk :
1) In a small frying pan, dry fry the coriander and cumin seeds until darkened in colour and fragrant.
2) Add toe a mortar and pestle, along with the other dry ingredients.
3) Grind to a smooth powder.
4) Place all the marinade ingredients in a freezer bag and mix well.
5) Add the chicken and leave to marinade for 30 minutes to 3 hours.
for the cooking :
1) Soak eight bamboo skewers in water for ten minutes.
2) Skewer the chicken onto the skewers, ensuring the chicken is not too tightly pushed together. Mix up the skewer with red pepper and top with cherry tomatoes.
3) Place on a a wire rack in a foil lined grill tray.
4) Baste the chicken liberally with the marinade.
5) Cook for 6 minutes, rebating the chicken and turning the tray at the half way stage.
6) Baste well and turn the chicken over. Baste the underside and cook for a further 6 minutes, basting and turning halfway.
7) Drizzle a little lemon over the skewers and serve.
Dry fry the cumin and coriander seeds until golden and fragrant
Grind the spices in a mortar and pestle
Spices ground to a medium powder
Paste the garlic
Add the remaining marinade ingredients
Dice the chicken into large cubes
Leave to marinade for 30 minutes to 3 hours
Prepare the kebab and place on a wire rack in a foiled baking tray
Baste every three minutes, and turn over after six minutes, by which time the kebabs should be just caramelised
Kebabs ready to be served
Serve with a Feta and Olive salad
Mediterranean Feast : Greek Salad, Flatbread, Humus and Chicken Taouk
Chicken Shish Taouk Close Up
Chicken Shish Taouk Wrap
The Flickr photoset showing Chicken Shish Taouk appears here.