27/05/14 10:11 Filed in: Japenese - Main
I am always making kebabs. I think the thing that most appeals is the simplicity and speed of cooking coupled with a never ending variation of flavours. For a weekday meal kebabs are perfect, as the preparation is rarely more than 10 minutes, and then you can walk away and get on with something else until ready to cook.
These kebabs are Japenese inspired Yakitori. The sweet sticky marinade keeps the chicken moist and delicious. The Asian Slaw served along side works fantastically well - with a real lift provided by the toasted sesame seeds.
The recipe would work very well cooked quickly on a BBQ.
The were extras left, so they made a delicious packed lunch the following day!
for the Chicken Yakitori [serves 2-3] :
2 chicken breasts, cut into 2 cm strips
2 red thai chillies, diced
6 cm knob of ginger, diced fine
2 cloves of garlic, diced fine
1 tsp sesame seed oil
80 ml mirin
80 ml sake
80 ml soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 large or 2 small spring onion
2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
for the Chicken Yakitori :
1) Cut the chicken into 2 cm strips and set aside in a bowl. Place in the fridge till ready to marinade.
2) Combine the marinade ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat on a medium flame until boiling.
3) Continue to boil for 5 minutes.
4) Allow to cool briefly, before pouring over the chicken.
5) Dry fry the sesame seeds in a frying pan and set aside to cool on kitchen towel.
6) When ready to make the kebabs, soak eight bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes.
7) Make the kebabs, two chicken pieces, spring onion, two chicken pieces and top with spring onion.
8) Place the kebabs in a tin foil covered grill tray.
9) Generously brush the marinade over the kebabs.
10) Cook the kebabs on a high grill heat for 3 minutes, apply more marinade, turn the tray and cook for a further 3 minutes.
11) Apply more marinade and sprinkle over half the sesame seeds.
12) Turn the chicken over and repeat the process for the other side.
13) Serve immediately.
I served the Chicken Yakitori with a delicious Asian Slaw and Steamed Sticky Rice
Prepare the chicken and set aside in the fridge till ready to marinade
Dice the Garlic and Ginger
Chop the deseeded chilli
Place all the marinade ingredients in small sauce pan
Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes
Marinade sticky and thickened. Leave to cool
Dry fry the sesame seeds until golden
Set aside to cool on kitchen towel
Once the marinade is cool, pour over the chicken and leave in the fridge
Chop the spring onion for the kebabs
Make the Yakitori kebabs
Liberally brush with marinade
Apply more marinade at 3 minutes, before turning the grill. Cook for a further 3 minutes
Brush with more marinade and sprinkle over half the roasted sesame seeds
Plate the rice, garnish with sesame seeds and chopped coriander
Garnish with a little chopped coriander
Chicken Yakitori served with Asian Slaw and Sticky Steamed Rice
The Flickr photoset showing Chicken Yakitor appears here.