Crispy Chicken Goujons with Spicy Salsa
15/11/14 13:46 Filed in: British - Main
This is one of these mid week meals which takes moments to prepare, but rewards with delicious crispy chicken and tangy salsa flavours.
I wanted to keep this healthy so I oven roasted the chicken goujons instead of the usual deep fried affair. This keeps the dish much lighter but the chicken remains mouth wateringly tender and crispy.
I made a salsa as I wanted to use up the evenings harvest of heritage tomatoes and Numex Twilight and Birdseye chillies. The salsa and plain rice turned the dish from finger food into a full meal.
This was a household hit and I will definitely be making this again.
When coating chicken or any other meat in breadcrumbs I find it best to use one hand for the egg and the other hand for the dry bowls. I do each piece one at a time so that every last bit has a generous and even coating.
for the Crispy Chicken Goujons [serves 2] :
2 chicken breasts on the bone, boned and skin removed
150 g breadcrumbs
1 tbsp Chinese Five Spice
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried marjoram
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp onion salt
1 tbsp Dunn’s River Everyday Seasoning
2 eggs, beaten
150g plain flour, well seasoned
for the Spicy Salsa [serves 2] :
1/2 red onion, finely diced
5 tomatoes, finely diced (I used heritage tigers from the garden)
handful of parsley, roughly chopped
4 small green Birdseye chillies, finely diced
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of a lime
salt and pepper to taste
for the Crispy Chicken Goujons :
1) Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
2) Add all the ingredients to a bowl, except for the eggs and plain flour.
3) Place the eggs into a bowl, beat well.
4) Place the flour into another bowl and season well.
5) Dust the chicken pieces in the flour, shaking off the excess.
6) Egg wash the chicken pieces one at a time, coating all over, shake off the excess.
7) Coat the chicken pieces in the breadcrumb mix and set aside.
8) When ready to cook, spread the coated chicken on an oven tray.
9) Season again with salt and white pepper.
10) Cook in a pre-heated oven, gas mark 6 for 40 minutes.
11) Serve immediately with Thai Dipping Sauce, the Spicy Salsa and some plain rice.
for the Spicy Salsa :
1) Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, gently combine with a spoon.
2) Check the seasoning, before placing in the fridge to chill.
Dice the red onion
Dice the tomatoes
Roughly chop the parsley
Add to a small bowl
Add the chillies
Add the lime juice
Add the olive oil and mix well. Leave in the fridge to chill
Remove the skin and take the breast off the bone
Chicken ready to be cut into goujons
Add the breadcrumbs to a bowl
Add the Chinese 5 Spice
Add the ginger powder
Add the garlic powder and smoked paprika
Add the dried oregano
Add the basil and onion salt
Add the white pepper
Add the Everyday Seasoning
Prepare the egg wash and seasoned flour bowls
Make the plain rice
First dust the chicken pieces in flour, shaking off the excess
Coat well in the egg wash before coating in the seasoned breadcrumbs
Spread out the goujons on an oven tray
Rice cooked, flake with a fork
Plate the rice on a dish with the salsa
Goujons crispy and ready!
Full plate shot!