Crispy Thai Chicken
31/08/14 13:00 Filed in: Thai - Main
I came home from work, and had a hankering for something crispy and spicy. I looked in the fridge, and found a pre-made salad, some chicken bits and Red Thai Curry Paste. (Although I would prefer to make my own - sometimes there simply is not the time, nor do I have the ingredients). As such adaptability is the key!!)
I could not think what to make, so I ended up combing up with the Crispy Thai Chicken.
Generally, I try to avoid deep frying food, mainly as I prefer to oven cook it and keep the dish healthier. However, batter is batter - and no amount of oven cooking is going to develop the crispy crunchy texture I so wanted.
This is a very easy recipe - taking no longer than 10 minutes to prepare.
I have to say the result was fantastic - a lovely Thai spice, with mouth watering fresh citrus undertones and delicious crispy chicken.
The salad was served dressed with Thai dipping sauce and a little olive oil and worked brilliantly.
I highly recommend giving this a go!!!
for the Crispy Thai Chicken: [serves 3]
2 chicken legs, 2 chicken wings
1 tbsp red Thai chilli paste
2 tbsp plain white flour
175 ml cold water
1 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp thai fish sauce
1 tbsp thai dipping sauce
juice of 1/2 lemon
zest of half a lemon
4 kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
oil to shallow fry
1 pre-made mixed salad
1 tsp sweet Thai dipping sauce
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
for the Crispy Thai Chicken :
1) Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4.
2) place the Thai Red Curry paste into a large mixing bowl.
3) Add the flour and water and whisk well.
4) Mix in the lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, Thai fish sauce and Thai dipping sauce. Whisk again to combine the ingredients.
5) Add the chicken pieces, mix well, cover and leave for 30 minutes to marinade.
6) Place enough vegetable oil in a small saucepan and heat on a medium heat until shimmering.
7) Add the kaffir lime leaves and fry until golden.
8) Remow with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on kitchen towel.
9) Add the chicken a piece at a time and fry until golden on both sides. Remove from the oil and place on a baking tray.
10) Repeat until all the chicken is cooked.
11) Patch up the chicken pieces with the remaining batter. Apply the batter generously.
12) Put the chicken in the oven for 30-35 minutes until crispy and golden.
13) When ready to serve, plate up the prepared salad.
14) Combine the salad with the Thai dispping sauce, olive oil, and season to taste.
15) Serve the chicken immediately with the kaffir lime leaves scattered over the chicken.
Add the Red Thai Curry Paste to a mixing bowl
Add the flour
Add the water to make thick batter
Whisk until well combined
Add the honey and Thai dipping sauce
Add the Thai fish sauce, lemon zest and juice
Add the chicken pieces, coating them in the batter
Leave to marinade for 30 minutes or longer
Chop the kaffir lime leaves
Shallow fry the kaffir lime leaves until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel
Shallow fry the chicken pieces, only at a time
Patch up the coat in with any remaining batter.Place in the oven
Prepare the salad (well..... tip artistically onto a bowl ;-p)
Dress the salad with olive oil and Thai dipping sauce
Once the chicken is cooked, scatterter over the reserve lime leaves and serve immediately
Close up of delicious Thai Crispy Chicken