29/11/14 13:35 Filed in: British - Main
Following on with my theme of autumnal dishes and making meals for during the week, I decided it was high time to make a Lancashire Hotpot.
The beauty of this dish, is that there is no cooking. Just add all the ingredients to a large casserole dish and throw it in the oven.
The lamb is wonderfully tender and melt in the mouth with the stock turning into a delicious thick gravy.
I ate this again on Tuesday night and it was 100 times better - the flavours had deepened and the potato had taken on a delicious Dauphinoise consistency.
for the Lancashire Hotpot [serves 4] :
3 best end neck lamb pieces, cut into 5 cm pieces
3 lamb chump chops, cut into 5 cm pieces
100 g flour, heavily seasoned, in a freezer bag
3 large Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1/2 tsp sugar
handful of thyme, leaves picked
2 bay leaves
2 onions, sliced
2 carrots, chopped small
2 stick celery, chopped small
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
800 ml lamb stock
20 g butter, melted, plus extra to grease the casserole dish
for the Lancashire Hotpot :
1) Preheat the oven to 170C.
2) Add the sugar, seasoning and flour in a freezer bag. Add the meat and shake well to get each piece evenly coated.
3) Peel the potatoes and slice thinly.
4) Butter a high-sided casserole dish and arrange a third of the potatoes in the bottom. Season them and sprinkle with a little thyme.
5) Add the carrot and celery, season and top with more fresh thyme leaves.
6) Add the meat and bay leaves, season again and top with thyme.
7) Top with the sliced onions. Again season as before.
8) Arrange the remaining potato slices on top of the onion in an overlapping fashion.
9) Season with salt and pepper.
10) In a measuring jug, combine the Worcestershire Sauce and lamb stock.
11) Peel back a potato layer and pour in the stock mix into the dish until the liquid comes to the base of the potato.
12) Melt the butter in a small saucepan, and using a pastry brush, liberally brush the butter over the potato slices.
13) Cover and place in the oven for 2 hours.
14) At this point, remove the lid/cover and cook for a further 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown.
Slice the potatoes
Grease the casserole dish
Line the bottom with potatoes
Season and sprinkle over with thyme
Dice the lamb into chunks
Dust the lamb in the heavily seasoned flour
Slice the onion
Add the chopped vegetables
Add the lamb
Top with onions
Artistically top with potato slices!
Melt the butter
Glaze the potatoes
After two hours, remove the lid
Delicious and golden brown
Served with steamed vegetables