22/05/14 16:39 Filed in: Cakes
I was playing around in the kitchen yesterday afternoon, as the weather was rubbish - and I have ample time now that I am not copying and pasting 8 hours a day - trying to rebuild the website!
I wanted to create a light sponge that had the sticky chewy texture of a macaroon.
I cooked the cake on a slightly higher heat than normal, so that the edges become chewy and delicious!
The cake really does take fantastic. You may omit the lemon sugar crust - but it definitely helps to liven up and round out the taste.
It amazes me how playing around with a sponge batter can create so many wonderful variations.
for the Macaroon loaf :
175 g caster sugar
175 g softened butter
200 g self-raising flour
3 eggs at room temperature
50 g almond flour
125 g desiccated coconut
6 tbsp milk
zest of a lemon
225 g glacé cherries, thoroughly washed and dried. Halved.
for the lemon sugar crust :
125 g granulated sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon
for the Cherry Loaf Cake :
1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
2) Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
3) Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl for 2 minutes. The mixture should be soft and fluffy.
4) Add the almond flour and stir well.
5) Add the desiccated coconut and the eggs. Beat well until combined.
6) Now add the cherries and lemon zest and stir lightly.
7) Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and cook for 60-75 minutes. The cake should be golden brown, and a skewer should come out clean from the centre. If in doubt, place back in the oven, cover with a piece of parchment paper and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
8) When ready, leave to cool for 10 minutes and then place on a cooling tray.
9) When cool, pierce with a skewer and add the lemon sugar crust.
Grease and Line a 2 lb Loaf tin
Cream together the butter and sugar
Beat until light and fluffy
Add the Almond Flour
Add the desiccated coconut
Add the eggs and beat well
Add the self raising flour
Wash and halve the Glace Cherries
Add the cherries and lemon zest
Add the milk to soften the batter
Gently stir the batter to combine
Turn out to the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven
Leave to cool on a wire rack
Once cool, pierce all over with a skewer
Once cool, add the lemon sugar crust
Slices of Macaroon Loaf - delicious!!
Macaroon Loaf Cross Section
The Flickr photoset showing Macaroon Loaf appears here.