Salsa Verde with Tomato
15/10/14 16:47 Filed in: British - Side
Salsa Verde as the name suggests stands for green sauce. The Italian version is traditionally served cold and includes parsley, vinegar, capers and garlic.
I always chop this sauce by hand as I like the rustic coarseness that is achieved, as opposed to blitzing it in a food processor.
The sauce is so versatile, being suitable for fish and meat.
It is zesty and zingy and works fantastically well with the Herb Crust Lamb.
for the salsa verde [serves 4] :
handful of basil
handful of mint
handful of parsley
1 tbsp of capers
1 medium tomato
1 tbsp sliced black olives
6 - 8 small pickled gerkins
6 - 8 anchovy fillets
4 tbsp good olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
for the salsa verde :
1) Slice the parsley, mint and basil to a course dice.
2) Add the capers, gherkins and anchovies to the chopping board and continue to dice.
3) Once diced fine, place in a serving bowl.
4) Dice the tomato to a fine dice and add to the herb bowl.
5) Repeat with the black olives.
6) Add the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
7) Add the olive oil and site well to combine.
8) Check the seasoning, cling film and keep cool in the fridge till serving.
Dice the parsley
Add the mint and basil and keep dicing
Once roughly chopped
Add the capers, anchovies and gherkins
Keep on dicing!!
Dice the olives
Chop the tomato
Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar
Add the mustard
Stir well, season and adjust where necessary, cling film and keep refrigerated until ready to serve