Spicy Meatballs with Herby Ragu
19/08/14 20:34 Filed in: Italian - Main
Having come home quite late from work, I had to knock up a quick and easy dinner. (Work seriously gets in the way of hanging out in the kitchen!)
You know when you have one of those days, and not just any food will do. It has to be comfort food - is there anything more comforting than Spicy Meatballs?
These meatballs pack a punch of flavour and chilli heat. The herby ragu is the perfect compliment.
I skipped adding tomato puree - as I did not want to wait for it to cook through. By all means add the puree and turbo charge the tomato flavour!
I am very pleased to finally have enough herbs and chillies growing in the new house’s garden.
I had the rest for lunch the next day, and it was totally delicious!
for the Spicy Meatballs : [serves 3]
400 g beef mince
1/2 white onion, very finely diced
1 tsp smoked paprika
100 g dried bread crumbs
1 tsp dried garlic powder
1 tsp onion salt
3-4 medium hot chillies, diced
1/2 tsp cumin
handful of parsley, chopped
good pinch of pepper
pinch of salt
for the Herby Ragu : [serves 3]
3 cloves of garlic
175 ml of water
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 white onion, finely diced
1 tin cherry tomatoes
handful of oregano, chopped
handful of basil, chopped
for the Spicy Meatballs :
1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
2) Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl.
3) Mix in the diced onion, chilies and parsley.
4) Add the minced meat and combine thoroughly with your hands.
5) Divide the mixture into 12 balls.
6) Place on a baking tray.
7) Cook for 15 minutes, before removing from the oven and turning over.
8) Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes until brown/
9) Serve on top of the ragu.
for the Herby Ragu :
1) Place a medium saucepan on a moderate heat, and add the oil.
2) Sauté the garlic bulbs until golden, turn frequently to avoid burning. Once golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and discard.
3) Add the diced onion and sauté gently until translucent.
4) Add the tomatoes and the water and gently simmer for 20 minutes on a low to medium heat.
5) Once reduced, turn off the heat until ready to serve.
6) Prepare the pasta following the packet instructions. When ready to serve, reserve 1-2 tablespoons of the cooking water.
6) When ready to serve, warm gently, add the herbs and stir gently for a minute.
7) Add to the pasta and reserved water and gently warm for a further minute or two, until thickened.
8) Serve with the meatballs on top. Garnish with chopped herbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
Peel the garlic
Gently brown off the garlic in warm olive oil
Garlic browned, now remove with a slotted spoon
Dice the onion
Sauté the onion in the olive oil till translucent
Add the tomatoes
Combine the dry meatball ingredients
Parsley fresh from the garden
Home grown chillies removed to thaw from the freezer
Dice the chillies
Combine all the ingredients
Add the minced beef and combine with your hands
Meatball mix ready
Make the meatballs
Fresh herbs for the ragu
Chop the herbs roughly
Add the herbs to the ragu when the meatballs are almost ready
Make the pasta following the packet instructions
Turn the meatballs half way through
Drain the pasta, reserving a tablespoon or two of water
Add the ragu and mix well
Gently warm through, until the ragu has thickened
Plate up the ragu
Remove the meatballs from the oven
Grate some parmesan and garnish with chopped herbs